This is one of our favourite meals in Barbados. In fact it is the first thing we eat when we get there and signifies the start of our holiday. I have been trying to re-create the recipe for a couple of years and think I might have just got there with this version. I can’t though re-create the heat, humidity, or view. But then you can’t have it all, right?
- 6 chicken breasts
- ½ cup of French dressing
- 1 green pepper
- 1 small onion
- 2 apples
- 3 celery sticks
- 4 tbs of mayonnaise
- 2tsp of curry powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tub of pomegranate seeds
- Cook the chicken breasts until thoroughly cooked, and then cube or shred
- Blitz the pepper, onion and apple in a food processor until they are finely chopped. Place in a bowl.
- Add chicken to above fruit and veg and pour on the French dressing.
- Leave to soak overnight and then squeeze to remove excess liquid
- Stir in the mayonnaise and curry powder (you can omit the curry powder if feeding small children, or add more if you prefer it hotter).
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, parsley and finely chopped cucumber.
Serve on a bed of green salad and you are done. Healthy, easy and you can’t muck it up.
Now you can see why it is one of my favourite recipes, right?