This curried chicken salad with a mango yogurt dressing is the perfect weekend lunch, or lazy midweek supper. Relatively cheap and all cooked in one dish, my favourite kind of meal!
I am not normally a fan of fruit with savoury dishes (don’t get me started on pineapple on pizzas for instance) so tend to avoid things like this but actually this works and isn’t too over powering at all. It has a hint of Coronation chicken about it (and if you added raisins it would be just like Coronation chicken but raisins with chicken is a step too far for me).
If you make this do let me know what you think!
- 4 chicken breasts but into 3 pieces each, or eight chicken thighs
- 2 onions peeled, ends cut off and cut into wedges
- 1 whole garlic bulb, broken up into cloves but dont bother peeling them
- small loaf of sourdough, broken into large chunks
- 1tbs of curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp mango chutney
- Juice of two lemons
- 4 tbsp of iceberg lettuce
- 2 celery sticks chopped into small pieces
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- big pinch of chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 190 (170 degrees fan/gas mark 5).
- Put the chicken, onions, garlic, bread, the spices and 1 tbsp chutney in a big baking tray.
- Pour the olive oil and lemon juice over.
- Thoroughly mix everything (using your hands is best)
- Season with salt and pepper and place in oven for 40 minutes
- When cooked set to one side and prepare salad by putting lettuce on large serving dish, add the radishes and the celery.
- In a small bowl stir in remaining 2tbs of mango chutney to the yogurt until combined.
- Pour in any chicken juices.
- Place large pieces of chicken, onion pieces and the bread on top of salad plate.
- Drizzle yogurt dressing over top.
- Garnish with chives