It’s pancake day! Or Shrove Tuesday to give it its official title. Though in this house today is “get all the work done so you can hot foot it up to London to a charity comedy gig and overnight stay in a swanky hotel in Leicester Square day”. But that last one doesn’t trip off the tongue so well, so let’s go with the first one.
What you don’t need on pancake day is a pancake recipe from me. Though I did contemplate sharing with you how to make a killer gin infused syrup to pour over your pancakes but as is often the case, I ran out of time this weekend. Maybe pancakes aren’t just for pancake day though and I will do that another day. What I do want to show you how to make though, is your own chocolate hazelnut spread. Once you have tried this, you will never buy the well known one ever again.
When we got our Thermomix last year this was one of the first recipes we ever made in it and it is still one of my favourites. And what ever self respecting pancake needs is a big fat dollop of
Nutella homemade chocolate hazelnut spread
- 60g hazelnuts
- 60g sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla sugar
- 15g cocoa powder
- 90g chocolate milk
- 170g of a mixture of milk and dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Spread the hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast at 160 for ten minutes. Leave to cool
- Place sugars in Thermomix bowl and grind for 20 seconds at speed 10
- Add hazelnuts and cocoa and grind for 20 seconds at speed 10
- Scrape down sides with spatula
- Add chocolate milk and heat for 4 minutes, 100 degrees, speed 4
- Scrape down sides again
- Blend for 2 minutes, speed 4
- Add the chocolate pieces
- Melt for 3 minutes, 50 degrees, speed 3
- Fill Kilner jars and seal immediately
- When cold place in fridge and use within two weeks
You could of course skip the pancakes and just eat it from the jar with a spoon
I won’t tell anybody.