Before we go any further I have two things to say about this incredible pie. The first is that this was made back in March, as there hasn’t been a pie window of opportunity this week. So this exceptional pie made back in March is being blogged about this week as I haven’t blogged it before. And secondly I can sing its praises as I didn’t make it. Jonnie and Ellie did.
You might wonder why they were in the kitchen making a lemon meringue pie and it is a very valid question. The answer is that the week before this pie was made our new Thermomix had arrived and this was in recipe book that came with it. It claimed to make it a relatively easy pie to make so the two of them set about giving it a go, whilst I was banned from the kitchen.
I think you will agree that it is a triumph. To be fair it is hard to go wrong with the Thermomix, especially if it is one of their recipes. I have used it virtually every day since it arrived and have yet to cock something up (which is unheard of in this house). Though only now am I venturing into the realms of doing my own recipes.
But for now, here is the recipe for a lemon meringue pie that would really stand up to the scrutiny of Mary and Paul. So I am hoping it stands up to the scrutiny of Jenny on this week’s GBBO challenge. Though were it to win Star Baker for the week it would of course be passed on to Ellie and Jonnie!
- 1 package Marie biscuits
- 2 heaped tsp lemon rind
- 125 g Butter
- 250 g cream cheese, Cut into 3 cm cubes
- 1 can condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks, Large
- 3 heaped tsp lemon rind
- 125 g lemon juice
- 4 egg whites, Preferrably room temperature
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 150 g castor sugar,
- Cut the rind off 2 large lemons put into bowl & grate 5 sec Sp 9 leave 2 heaped tsp in bowl & set the rest aside.
- Place 1 Pkt Marie biscuits into bowl & crush 5 sec Sp 8 (although if you like some chunky bits try speed 5)
- Add MELTED butter & mix 5 sec Sp 5 or until combined well.
- Put into pie dish & push down on the base & up the sides with the base of a smooth glass.
- Place in the fridge while preparing the filling
- Rinse & dry bowl
- Beat Cream Cheese 10 sec Sp 6 or until smooth & scrape down bowl, including the bottom of the bowl.
- Add egg yolks, condensed milk, lemon juice & rind & mix 5 sec Sp 6, scrape down bowl & loosen bottom of bowl & mx again 5 sec Sp 6.
- Pour into base & place back into the fridge while preparing Meringue
- Clean & dry bowl VERY well. Use vinegar & water technique if desired.
- Preheat oven to 180*C FAN FORCED or 200*C conventional oven.
- Insert butterfly whisk.
- Place room temperature egg whites & cream of tartar into bowl & whip 4 min/50*C/Sp 3.5 until stiff peaks form.
- Then mix 4 min/50*C/Sp 3 adding 1 tbsp of sugar at a time through the hole in the bowl lid.
- Place on top of filling in pie dish & use the pack of a spoon to form peaks.
- Cook for approximately 7-15 mins or until top is golden & peaks are brown.
- Leave for 30 mins (if you can wait) to allow filling to set a little as it will spill out when you cut into it. Or refrigerate & enjoy cold for a set filling.