So here is the thing. I can’t cook. I have said it before and I will keep saying it again. What I do have though are gadgets that do things for me so I can produce results that make it look like I can cook. Which is why I have decided to join in with Jenny’s #GBBOBloggers weekly linky.
Every week inspired by that week’s episode of the Great British Bake Off bloggers will pick one of the three themes featured and show off their own creation. So from drizzle cake / Jaffa cakes / mirror glaze I have done a lemon and lavender drizzle cake. Mainly because the day before I had been out picking lavender and wanted to do something with it so thought that if you can make lavender shortbread you must surely also be able to do lavender sponge.
Turns out you can! Grinding lavender along with the lemon peel works a treat in the Thermomix
- 3 lemons, peeled and juiced
- Bunch of lavender flowers (discard stems)
- 300 g caster sugar
- 175 g butter
- 3 large eggs
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 20 g milk
- Preheat oven to 180
- Place peel, 50 g sugar and lavender in mixing bowl then grate 10 sec/speed 10.
- Scrape down sides of mixing bowl then grate again as above
- Add 125 g sugar, butter and the eggs. Mix 20 sec/speed 5.
- Add flour and milk then mix 30 sec/speed 5.
- Transfer batter to prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes
- Allow cake to cool and clean out bowl.
- Place remaining 125 g sugar and lemon juice in mixing bowl then grind 8 sec/speed 8.
- Prick cake deeply with a skewer. Remove from tin, pour glaze over the top allowing it to become absorbed.
The lavender gives it a really subtle flavour rather than being overpowering.
Unlike the lavender gin I have also made
Here’s to next week being all about the biscuits!