Did you know you could make a slow cooker strawberry cheesecake?
People often associate slow cookers with stews, or casseroles, or in fact anything savoury. And most definitely wintery. It is less often associated with sweet things. Like cheesecake. Cheesecake? In a slow cooker? I know.. I know… you think I have finally lost the plot. But trust me, this works, and it says “summer” like nothing else. And I think proves that slow cookers are not just for savoury dishes, or winter.
Can you make desserts in a slow cooker?
You better believe you can? As mentioned above, people tend to think of slow cookers as only being for savoury dishes but that is a real shame. There is so much you can make for dessert in a slow cooker.
What sort of desserts can you make in a slow cooker?
Well cheesecake, obviously. Rice pudding, fudge, puddings, cakes. You name it and I am pretty sure you can make it in your slow cooker. In fact Country Living have a post here with 42 desserts to make in a slow cooker.
So how do you make cheesecake in a slow cooker?
- 1 Sage Appliances Multi Cooker
- 4 Digestive biscuits
- 1 tbsp butter
- 8oz cream cheese (not with chives and onions. I made that mistake once. Trust me. Not good)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp strawberry (or raspberry) jam
- Fresh strawberries to garnish
- Two ramekins
- Start by lightly greasing the ramekins
- Put the biscuits in a food processor until they are fine breadcrumbs. Or into a plastic bag and beat the heck out of it with a rolling pin.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan (or microwave) and add the biscuit crumbs to the butter.
- Line the base of the two ramekins with the biscuit mixture
- Put jam, egg, honey and cream cheese in food processor and blend until it resembles batter.
- Pour on top of the biscuit bases
- Pour about 200 mls of water into the base of the cooker pot
- Lower ramekins in gently ensuring the water doesnt splash (water should be about half way up the ramekins, top up if needed)
- Put the lid on and cook on low for about 2 hours, or until cheesecake is set.
- Take the lid off and leave to cool for an hour
- Place in fridge for 2 hours until cold and firm.
To make them take seconds if you have a food processor, the time to make is just down to the cooking and cooling but if you do them the day before or early in the morning they then sit there doing their own thing. And if you forget them completely for a while they are not going to be ruined (as is often the case in this house).
How lush do they sound?
Not as lush as they taste, let me tell you. And no, I wont be sharing.
They are our go to dessert when friends come over for a barbecue but recently we have been looking for vegan slow cooker recipes too as a friend of ours has become a vegan. How delicious does this Vegan rice pudding recipe sound?! This is definitely going on the list of things to try.